Marriott International is excited about its choice for a new global headquarters in downtown Bethesda. This prime property at 7750 Wisconsin Avenue is just a short walk from the Bethesda Metro, an ideal location for our employees and visitors. The site is in a perfect position to accommodate our vision for a $600 million urban campus with an attractive, 230+ room Marriott flagship hotel.
The proposed site is located on the west side of Wisconsin Avenue at Norfolk Avenue and spans two-blocks to the south and one block west to Woodmont Avenue.
Marriott International has called Montgomery County home for more than 60 years. We take great pride in the strong relationships we’ve developed and the contributions we have made as a committed community partner. That’s a tradition — and promise — that started with Marriott’s founders 90 years ago. We look forward to adding to that legacy as we create our new, 21st century home in downtown Bethesda and continue our work as the world’s largest hotel company.
Our new offices will meet green building standards, allow abundant natural light and provide our associates new opportunities for flexible, collaborative work spaces. The campus will offer a childcare center for associates, a fitness center, cafeteria and accessible parking onsite and at nearby garages.
For the community, a new 230+ room Marriott hotel will be located next door. This flagship hotel will offer over 8,000 square-feet of meeting and ballroom space, a restaurant with outdoor dining on the pedestrian plaza, a specialty coffee shop and a seasonal rooftop dining terrace.
Access and Parking
Compared to our current location on Fernwood Road, which has limited access to public transportation, our new urban location will offer a range of options, from rail and bus to walking and biking. We anticipate about 1,000 associates who currently drive to work will use another method to reach the new headquarters.
A key feature of the selected headquarters site is the ability to have vehicle entrances on both Wisconsin and Woodmont avenues. It also allows for a new pedestrian plaza, an active space that will provide a public throughway between Wisconsin and Woodmont.
Plans include 800 spaces of on-site underground parking. Under an agreement with Montgomery County, we will also have exclusive use of county Garage 11 for use by associates and guest during normal business hours. The garage will remain open for public use on evenings, weekends and holidays.
There are five other county parking facilities within walking distance to Garage 11 with substantial available capacity.
- Garage 40—4935 St. Elmo Avenue
- Garage 49—7601 Woodmont Avenue
- Garage 42—4720 Cheltenhem Drive
- Garage 36—4907 Del Ray Avenue
- Lot 41—4538 Middleton Lane
When our corporate offices and 93 hotels across the state are taken together, Marriott International supports more than 10,000 jobs in Maryland. More than half are located in Montgomery County, with 3,500 of them based at corporate headquarters. Both state and local leaders worked to keep Marriott in Montgomery County to retain the economic base and jobs the company provides.
On a broader scale, there the positive impacts are many, including:
- An estimated $89 million in construction salaries over 2.5 years
- An estimated $2.3 billion in annual business activity spurred by supplier purchasing and employee economic activity
- Marriott will continue to spend millions with Maryland companies; in 2015, its supplier purchasing within the state was approximately $500 million
- An estimated $1.8 billion in local property, income and sales tax revenue over 20 years
- An attractive addition to the Bethesda skyline as envisioned by county planners
- An environmentally friendly complex utilizing the latest green technology
- Increased transit use, contributing to fare box collections